MIXED TAPE – an anthology based on love songs
Okay, be honest…how many made one? Had one given to them? What? You don’t know what I’m talking about? Way back when, when you needed to tell that special someone how you felt instead of writing a note you put together a compilation cassette tape of MUSIC. Songs that reminded you of that special someone, songs that told them how you felt so you didn’t have to say it to their face (just in case they didn’t feel the same). I’m putting together a MIXED TAPE of stories inspired by love songs (especially from the 1980s). So break out those cassette tapes, acid wash jeans and neon colors.
- Range between 5 and 40k
- Be inspired by a love song that plays a part in the story (some suggestions: Air Supply, Chicago, REO Speedwagon, Duran Duran, to name just a few)
- Flashbacks, paranormal, contemporary, historical (okay, is the 1980s really historical?) all welcome
- Must abide by MLR submission guidelines
***Please email Kris if you are interested with what song you intend to use to avoid authors using the same song***
Stories due by March 15, 2013 to special_submissions@mlrpress.
Questions should be sent to Kris Jacen at KrisJacen@mlrpress.com
What can be hotter than a cold-blooded warrior using his weapons of choice – blade, brain, fang? A vampire out fighting every night for…love? Does he weld his brain or his brawn? Show us some fang!
Have at least one vampire as a lead character
Be a minimum of 5k, maximum of 40k
Any subgenre is welcome and all prohibitive guidelines are observed.
Deadline for submissions: November 15, 2012 Titles will release in the Spring of 2013.
Submissions should be sent to special_submissions@mlrpress.
Australia Day is the Australian version of July 4, it’s when the whole of Australia drops everything and PARTIES to celebrate ALL THINGS Australia. It’s fireworks, festivals, food, beer, ferryboat races on Sydney Harbour, you name it… It’s their national day. Every city puts on the most amazing celebrations.
So here’s your chance if you’ve always wanted to write a story about Australia, help us celebrate Australia Day! Imagine the stories you can write about HOT Aussie men in iconic Aussie locations/scenarios:
• Surf Life Savers on Bondi Beach
• Jackaroo horsemen in the Outback
• Drag queens and HOT men at Sydney’s party of parties the Gay Mardi Gras
• Lovers snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef
• Romance in Melbourne, the Paris of the southern hemisphere
• Opera at the Sydney Opera House
• The mystical Ayers Rock and the Red Centre
• Love in a hot wool-shearing shed on a sizzling Queensland
• A steamy crocodile safari in Darwin
• HOT Surf Life Savers on Bondi Beach
Now that you’re tantalized with the possibilities…here’s the details:
Stories should be between 5k and 40k, any subgenre you’d like (but MUST be set in Australia around the celebration), are due November 5, 2012 and should be sent to special_submissions@mlrpress.